Thursday, December 23, 2004

My Wish List

  With Christmas only two days away, it is something of a tradition this time of year to search our hearts for the things that we’re looking for.  Wanting.  Wishes. 

  Peace on Earth is always a popular one, but this year it hits a little closer to home.  Many Americans will be spending the holidays away from their loved ones as they serve their country, and our thoughts and prayers go out to them.  And so this year, at the top of my wish list: peace on earth.

  I wish that no child had to go without during the holidays.  In a season of abundance, of goodwill and charity, it should be the only time that poverty isn’t felt.  It’s a lofty goal, and I thank Jack and Peggy Petrowsky and all of the Toys for Tots volunteers for working this year to bring it a little closer to reality.  Our stations have been very involved in the Toys for Tots campaign, and it has been a blessing.  Thank you to all of those who donated toys to this year’s campaign.  You may never know the difference you make.

  I wish for a year with more time to spend with family.  And another year of good health for my grandparents, whom I’m not able to see as much as I’d like. 

  On a lighter note, I wish that everyone would begin changing the channel when a reality show came on, in an effort to send the message to TV executives that they’re taking this a little too far.  Don’t clutter my cable with ill-conceived, poorly-acted and generally uninteresting programming about talentless, greedy, self-serving lunatics trying to capture 30 seconds of fame and fortune.  That’s why I have C-Span.

  I genuinely wish that more child TV stars would grow up to be significant actors and actresses.  Perhaps then they wouldn’t be compelled to start singing.  Hilary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, Raven Symone: this means you.  Take a tip from the Olsen twins, and stick with your day job.

  I wish that one celebrity in the family was enough.  Ashlee Simpson, Nikki Hilton.  Also, I have reason to believe that we’ll be seeing more of Britney’s little sister, Jamie Lynn Spears, in the year ahead.  Rumor has it that she was just given her own show on Nickelodeon.  Only the tabloids care if these siblings are in the public eye.  Take a tip from Roger Clinton.  It’s a short ride.

  This is a short wish list.  However you choose to spend your holidays, I invite you to take stock of what’s important to you.  Come up with a wish list of your own.  New Year’s resolution time will be here before you know it. 

 -From Pulse
   December 23, 2004

0 comments: